Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Tax Manager is responsible for all areas relating to global tax compliance and tax planning for the Group of Companies.
- Maintain tax compliance/planning calendar to ensure that deadlines are recorded and met. Add new activities as they arise.
- Prepare and report quarterly tax provisions and recording of related tax accrual entries (current/deferred).
- Responsible for indirect taxes -GST, PST, VAT.
- Prepare and report quarterly and annual tax provisions under ASPE including financial statement note disclosure, and assist with year-end audit as it relates to income tax accounts and activities.
- Estimate and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual tax instalments for various jurisdictions.
- Prepare and/or review annual tax returns in conjunction with our tax consultants.
- Assist in responding to tax audit queries and information requests by various tax authorities, including the administration of tax audits.
- Identify issues that may arise in new tax issues that may arise in business operations and transactions for example business combinations and expansion into new jurisdictions, and/or work with tax advisors on such matters.
- Assist with new corporate structures and consider tax planning opportunities.
- Adhere to tax regulations in multiple jurisdictions.
- Research new tax laws and developments and assess the impact on our business.
- Document process for R&D and work with R&D consultants to prepare the annual SR&ED claims.
- Record keeping of domestic and foreign income tax filings.
- Monitor activity in income tax accrual, deferred tax and tax expense accounts. Reconcile income tax accounts as required.
- Assist with providing internal tax training.
- Develop a strong working relationship with various parts of the Organization.
- Offers tax compliance and planning services including corporations, individuals, partnerships, and trusts.
- Special engagements such as due diligence etc.
- Research tax issues and prepare internal and external memorandum.
- Provides Tax Training at internal professional tax skill development sessions.
- Advising on planning opportunities, tax minimization strategies, and compliance issues.
- Ability to research and write utilizing electronic tax tools.
- Assist with cross border payroll research and calculations.
- Assist with expatriate tax policies and tax equalizations.
- Correspond with the CRA and foreign tax authorities.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Must have a professional accounting designation and 3-5 years of tax experience.
- Qualified Canadian CA with successful completion of the CICA In-depth Tax Course (level I & II at a minimum).
- Candidates with Accounting Designations including CMA, CGA & International CA's will also be considered.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian, US Tax regulations and working knowledge of Global tax.
- Prior experience with tax accounting skills and SR&ED knowledge.
- Ability to manage relationships with external tax consultants.
- Prior tax experience working with a public, growing multinational company is a strong advantage.
- Excellent MS Excel skills.
- Knowledge of Financial and ERP systems.
- Ability to work independently and contribute to team objectives.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong analytical capabilities and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong experience with tax research tools and tax preparation software.
- Solid knowledge of GAAP requirements for tax provisions including ASPE.
- Previous experience in reviewing quarterly and annual tax provisions and corporate tax returns.
- Previous experience with inbound/outbound taxation compliance would be an asset.
- Motivated and diligent in maintaining current technical knowledge in the area of Tax.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Highly motivated individual with a desire for growth.
- Dedication and motivation to achieve high standards of client service and professionalism in the performance of duties.
- Effectively manages conflicting demands and priorities.
- Able to provide persuasive and self-assured responses to challenging questions.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Good working knowledge in application of Canadian corporate income taxes.
- Good working knowledge in the application of transfer pricing methodologies and OECD guidelines preferred.
- Sound judgment and decision making.
- Respect for confidential information.
Avmax Group Inc. is dedicated to, and prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome the diversity of all of our employees. Avmax Group Inc. has specific policies in place to prevent discrimination in our hiring practices on the basis of the protected grounds dictated by Canadian legislation. In order to be in compliance with the law, employees must be legally eligible to work in Canada.